Amanah Saham Bumiputera (ASB) is a unit trust fund for the Malay ethnic group, Bumiputeras, in Malaysia. Amanah Saham Nasional Berhad launched it for all Bumiputeras in 1990, and it is one of the safest investments avenues in the country with an income equity fund with a fixed price of RM1 per unit.
ASB financing aims to generate consistent, competitive, and long-term returns for investors. For example, ASNB were able to declare positive dividend returns even during the economic downfall in 2008.
Reasons to invest in ASB
People unfamiliar with ASB financing may be afraid to start investing, but here are some benefits of ASB.
- No upfront payment such as management fee or processing fee
- The government controls all ASB investments, so any money invested will not depreciate, and investment returns are guaranteed
- The average percentage of annual interest will be applicable for investment as early as the first month
- ASB returns are consistent with an average rate of income distribution per unit or investment interest between 7.3% to 7.65%
- Depending on the bank, repayment tenure can be as long 30 years
- You can use ASB certificates in local banks as security when getting a loan
- You can withdraw the investment immediately in the case of an emergency during working hours without waiting for two to three weeks
The banks that offer the loan determine the interest rates of ASB loans. The interest rate also depends on how much you borrow from the bank. Some banks offer fixed interest rates, and other banks provide floating interest rates.
The criteria to approve ASB depends on the bank, but some common standards include:
- Aged 18 to 65 years
- Must be a Bumiputera
- May have to be salaried or self-employed
- Documents required are a copy of an identity card, an ASB passbook, pay slips for the last 2 to 3 months, and bank statements for the previous three months
Two types of authorised agents handle ASB: banks and Post Malaysia, that is a non-bank agent. Most banks such as RHB and Maybank offer ASB financing services.
Visit https://www.rhbgroup.com/products-and-services/personal/rhb-easy/loans/easy-asb for more information about ASB financing.